09.17.10 by Shirley
We’ve Got Pollo Envy
Ever since the Arroz Con Pollo Throwdown episode aired, we’ve been drooling at the thought of our own mouthwatering one-pot wonder.
New York’s Jorge Ayala threw down some serious spices to take the Arroz con Pollo title away from grill master Bobby Flay. Just for fun, we thought we’d enter our own version into the mix. It’s an all-in-one-pot meal that’s sassy enough to roll on its own.
Paprika-Spiced Arroz con Pollo
- Olive oil
- 2 pounds bone-in organic chicken things
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 jalapeño, chopped (seeds removed for less kick)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Handful fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/3 cup green olives, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- Sprinkle chicken with S&P and paprika then brown the chicken in a hot skillet. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add a splash of oil to the pan and then add onion and jalapeño. Cook until translucent, add garlic and cook for another minute or so then add rice and cook until rice is translucent.
- Pour in stock and then add tomatoes, S&P, chili powder and cilantro. Stir then place browned chicken back in pan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add olives and peas, continue cooking until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked through.